EFS was founded
Mark Jones, Founder of EFS Global
EFS was founded by Mark Jones in July 1996 as Mercury Express, starting with one Ford Transit Van offering a Same Day Courier Service. As a start-up company, Mark controlled bookings and invoicing, and completed vehicle maintenance and some driving duties, all whilst he was still running his own milk round!
General haulage introduced
General Haulage was introduced (six vans, three 7.5t, two 18t). The company rebranded to Express Freight Solutions and then changed from being a sole trader to a Limited Company ‘Jones Metcalf Ltd T/A Express Freight Solutions Ltd’.
Express Freight Solutions Ltd joined Pallet Network UPN
Express Freight Solutions Ltd joined its first pallet network and was a founding member of the UPN network. Articulated vehicles were added to the fleet.
First company acquisition
Express Freight Solutions Ltd made its first acquisition. Based in Cheshire, 747 Express Freight Limited was immediately absorbed into Jones Metcalf Ltd. Three warehouse units were purchased in Burnley.
Acquired Refrigerated Transport Services Limited (RTS)
Express Freight Solutions Ltd (EFS) acquired Refrigerated Transport Services Limited (RTS), enabling the offer of time-sensitive and temperature-controlled services.
Acquired an international freight forwarding business
EFS acquired an international freight forwarding business (LogicTransUK Ltd) and merged this company with Refrigerated Transport Services Limited. The newly formed company was rebranded as EFS Logistics Ltd.
New 36,000 sq ft warehouse in Burnley
EFS expanded into its new 36,000 square foot warehouse in Phoenix Way, Burnley.
EFS accelerates acquisitions
EFS ignited its aggressive acquisition strategy by acquiring Red Scar Tyres Limited and C.S. Brunt (Freight Services) Limited in April within a week of each other.
Acquisition of Horizon Distribution and Brad Trans International
EFS then acquired another palletised distribution and warehousing business in February, Evidale Consulting Limited T/A Horizon Distribution. A specialised groupage haulier Brad Trans International Limited also joined in September of that year adding European road freight services to the rapidly growing group.
Euro-Tran and Euro SDB acquired
EFS expanded even further in March by acquiring Euro-Tran Despatch Limited, which specialises in pallet and parcel distribution, and further in October by acquiring Euro SDB Limited.
Company rebranded as EFS Global
EFS then acquired JRS Traction Limited (Now EFS Traction Limited) in June, which operates a traction-only service based between the two Immingham Docks. The efs.global domain was registered in early 2018 ready for the rebrand which was carried out later that year to EFS Global in preparation for a crowdfunding exercise to help with the growth of the company.
Two additional acquisitions in Merseyside
Having completed the crowdfunding exercise, EFS Global acquired a specialised pharmaceuticals courier, Ardenwell Limited T/A PDQ Specialist Couriers, and another freight forwarding business FWD Freight Services Limited, both based in the Merseyside/Chesire area.
Acquisition of Caistor Distribution
EFS Global Acquired just one business in August that specialises in Pallet Network Distribution, Caistor Distribution Limited, based in Market Rasen. Growth plans were reignited after the first lockdown.
Six additional companies acquired in England & Scotland
This was a very busy year for EFS, seeing the acquisition of six businesses across the span of 2021.
- February – AFI UK Limited, specialising in project forwarding and air freight, based at the Manchester Freight Terminal in Manchester Airport,
- April – Austin Wilkinson & Sons Limited, specialising in general haulage and pallet network distribution, based in Atherton,
- May – Courier Connections (Scotland) Limited, specialising in pallet network distribution across the whole of Scotland, based in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Perth,
- August – Thomas Harwood & Son Limited, specialising in general haulage, based in Bolton,
- December – Tyneside Express Transport Limited, specialising in general haulage, pallet network distribution, and BRC-accredited warehouse capabilities, based in Newcastle,
- December – Gees Haulage Limited, specialising in general haulage with a direct national service, based in Wakefield.
Six additional companies acquired
Another great year for the EFS Global group after acquiring six businesses:
- June – Tooles Transport Limited, specialising in general haulage and pallet network distribution, based in Droitwich,
- July – Pegasus Express Limited, specialising in general haulage and pallet network distribution based in Preston, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness,
- August – Andante Freight Limited, specialising in air/road/sea/rail freight, and are Mediterranean specialists based in Bradford,
- September – Tom Moorhouse & Son Limited, specialising in general haulage, based in Huddersfield.
- December – Eminence Transport and its sister company Floryn, who specialise in general haulage, pallet network distribution, container loads, Logistics, warehousing and fulfilment based in Maidstone.
EFS Global group have carried on their growth and acquired another 5 Haulage Companies during 2023
- June – ILS (Independent Logistic Solutions) and sister company SPS (Sussex Pallet Services), specialising in Pallet Network Distribution based in East Sussex.
- December – YDL Distribution and Logistics and Pass the Parcel who are based across 4 sites in York, Sherburn, Newton Aycliffe and Brighouse along with Leeds Parcel Company who are based in Leeds.
- YDL and its sister companies, (Pass the Parcel and Leeds Parcel Company) is the largest acquisition to date for the EFS Global group marking a significant increase to the widespread coverage EFS Global offers.